Friday, January 4, 2008

Lesson 17

Since Andy was sick, we changed our lesson to Thursday instead. What's going wrong? Lots of people are sick; Andy's sick, Ben's sick, Sally's sick. Must be the sudden drop of temperature. I do feel cold sometimes, especially there's no heat at home, but certainly it's no where to compare to Philly's weather, shouldn't complain.
So both Wed and Thur before lesson, I tried a lot of inside and outside forward. And Thur after lesson, I did quite some 1-foot-spin.

1-foot-spin -
Probably Andy has spotted me failed on all of my 1-foot-spin during practice, he asked me to do a couple 2-foot-spin first. Though not perfect, I thought they were OK. But I failed again when he asked me to do 1-foot-spin. Then I mentioned the screws of my left blade was losen couple weeks ago, I fastened them back and seemed like I lost my ability of doing a 1-foot-spin afterward. (Well, I gotta blame on something else sometimes, hahaha......) Andy took a look at my blade, then centered it a little and put another screw on. It didn't help much, and too bad, I lost my excuse. hehe....... anyway..... but he gave me some more instruction on doing the spin, and told me indeed my position was correct, it was all about practice. After knowing the fact that it's quite normal to fail like that at the beginning, I felt much better, and the pressure was lessen. Certainly his instructions helped and I started to feel the position and the trick. So after lesson, I kept doing 1-foot-spin until my left foot hurt. I think I'm getting just a liiiiiitttle bit better.

Forward outside/ inside edges -
I think I passed the fear of bringing my free legs to the front. I could hold my free legs up front higher and longer. Yee has once told me I kept looking down at the ice, so I tried to look straight to the front instead, it also helped to stablize myself. More practice is needed, but I'm thrill enough at this point.

Waltz jump -
Yee said what Andy has said, yes, I tend to swing my right leg to the side instead of forward when I take off. It's kinda like a cheaty jump, since when I swing my right leg to the side, I already made a 1/4 rotation, thus I just need to do another 1/4 in the air before I land. I don't know when I've developed this bad habit. I gotta correct it before it's too late. Not only it doesn't look good, I can't jump high if I swing my leg to the side, I guess it also set a bad foundation if I'm going to do an axel later. (will I ever get to learn axel jump? oh well, doesn't hurt to dream a little) I did practise a lot on swinging my right leg to the front and try to make the whole half rotation in the air, but since I can't see myself, I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. I think I better stop for now before I develop any more bad position. I gotta ask Andy to check my position first, and I have to feel the right position before practising more to anchor it.

LFO3 & RFO3 turns -
I think they're getting better now. During the lesson, we tied them together. It was kinda fun. Andy said we were like doing latin dance. :)

Oh, I saw Marco demonstrated some jumps to his students. Wow.... he jumped so high with great speed. Nice. :)

No comments: