Monday, December 31, 2007

Wedding on Ice

Planned to practise today in the morning when there weren't many people. However, it turned out to be Alex's, one of the coaches', wedding. I always like watching wedding ceremonies, thus I decided to stay as a public audience. It was kind of a short ceremony (well, compared to all the other ones I've attended), yet pretty special.
So after that, I started my practice for today. But not long after, the rink was packed again. Didn't really do much besides lapping around. At first I was a little disappointed and bored, especially Eva and Sally were not there to keep me accompany. But then Wai Chai told me I could take this chance to practise my stability to skate in-between people. It's indeed quite true, since I found out lately I got less and less confidence on the ice due to the lack of ability to stop properly, thus, whenever the rink was packed, the fear would overtake me to a point that I didn't even want to skate. So I just lapped, squeezed in-between people, and indeed, it was not as bad as I thought. But I gotta practise more on any kind of stops; snowplow stop, T-stop, hockey stop, whatever extreme-stop, you name it....... I gotta ask Andy to teach me all. hehehe.....
Oh, by the way, so glad that Wai Chai's recovered and back to work. :)

Forward Outside/ Inside Edges -
Tried both forward outside and inside edges, it was quite nerve wracking when I brought my free legs to the front. So instead of doing a continuous left and right pattern, I did a single loop of left/right foot outside/ inside each time. All of a sudden, I got this idea of imaginating myself doing a forward crossover, and then I could do it a little better, and could kind of tie them together at the end. Also, I found out my arms position played a significant effect on my stability when I brought forth my free legs. I have to make a mental note to myself to ask Andy on Wed about the correct arm position.

1-foot spin -
Hey, seemed like it's getting back to me. Would it be because of the smoother surface? (I tried doing a couple spins first while the ice was still waxy). After the ice was re-surfaced again in the second session, I tried to do a couple more at the little alcove between the stage and the perimeter. Then something weird happened. I didn't know whether the ice was too slippery or what, I started to travel before getting into the spinning momentum. The traveling motion dislocated my axis. I had that weird feeling of the ice sliding or tipping over. I couldn't figure out why. So my conclusion is, I still can't do a 1-foot-spin.

No comments: